- a little olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 500g (1lb) potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 750g (1½lb) beetroot, peeled and chopped
- 1 x 600ml chicken or vegetable stock
- 100ml (3½fl oz) half-fat soured cream or none dairy cream or cream cheese
- 4-5 tbsp hot horseradish
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- small handful dill (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Heat half the olive oil in a large pan. Add the onion and on a medium-low heat, cook gently for 5 minutes, stirring, until softened.
Add the potatoes and beetroot and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring continuously. Pour in the chicken or vegetable stock and 500ml (17fl oz) of water.
Bring to the boil, then simmer, partially covered, for 20-25 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
Pour into a blender, along with half the soured cream, vinegar and whizz until smooth. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and add the horseradish, to taste. Serve swirled with the remaining soured cream and garnish with dill, if you like.
As an alternative to the sour cream serve with a splash of good quality virgin olive oil and a fresh squeeze of lemon juice.