Turnip Almond and Lentil Stew
2 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for frying the almonds
1 carrot, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 turnip, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
150g baby button mushrooms, halved
250g green lentils
1.2 l vegetable stock
1 bay leaf
1 sprig rosemary
4 sprigs thyme
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
10 cherry tomatoes, quartered
Heat the olive oil in a large pan and fry the carrot, celery, onion and turnip until softened – about five minutes.
- Add the garlic and mushrooms. Fry for a further five minutes.
- Add the lentils to the pan. Pour over the stock and add the herbs. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Just before the end of the cooking time for the stew, in another pan, fry the almonds in a splash of olive oil with the cinnamon for two minutes.
- Add the cherry tomatoes and warm through.
- Serve the lentil stew with the almonds and tomatoes.